This 1 day course has been designed to cover all the skills and knowledge required to safely carry out venepuncture.
Delegates will be able to practice on a model during the course, however the delegate will have to undergo supervised practice in a clinical setting to be confirmed as competent.
Course Content and Structure
- Understand what Phlebotomy and Venepuncture is
- Understand Professional Practice, Accountability and Competency
- Understand Anatomy and Physiology relating to Venepuncture
- Be able to identify veins suitable for phlebotomy
- Understand Contraindications and Unsuitable veins
- Understand the Assessment of and communication with patients
- Understand informed consent
- Understand Health and safety: Potential complications
- Understand Infection control and safe disposal of equipment
- Familiarisation with equipment used
- Practice obtaining a venous blood sample from a teaching model
- Practicing cannulation on a teaching model
- Understand the record keeping process
The National Association of Phlebotomists is committed to the sharing of evidence-based practice through the acquisition of knowledge; development of skills that reflect the memberships’ needs and promote professional recognition through established training programs.